The student news site of Southfield High School
Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Michigan Suffers From Bad Press

Michigan Suffers From Bad Press

Elena Wilson

Artwork by Elena Wilson

Michigan has been under fire recently for a number of stories in the national news: The Flint water crisis, the Kalamazoo mass shootings, and the Detroit school conditions. All three stories have made national headlines, reflecting poorly on Michigan.

Also, because of these stories, people seem to forget that Michigan still thrives in positivity. Michigan is still a state full of pleasance and opportunity, but it just hasn’t been at its best as of late. This state may not be as flashy as California or New York, but there is plenty of beauty in its shoreline, its sand dunes and its wildlife.

In the flurry of bad press about Flint, Kalamazoo and Detroit, let’s not forget that Michigan is home to the best auto industry in the United States. It is the origin of great entertainment careers, such as Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross and Bruce Springsteen. Motown came from Detroit. Michigan is home to two of the top schools in the country: The University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

Though its public schools are in crisis at present, Detroit was once an incredibly stunning city. It continues to make progress toward reaching that level once again with its new sports arenas and gleaming River Walk.  Even though it seems like Detroit is taken over at times with violence, some of the most down-to-earth people come from Detroit.

Michigan cannot let this wave of negative press tarnish its image. It remains a wonderful place. Once Michiganians come together more as a community rather than as divided institutions, the state will emerge from this temporary state of gloom.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Michigan Suffers From Bad Press”

1. Jaime on February 29th, 2016 9:19 am

Though a lot of people are trying to label our state with negativity, you´re right there is still a lot of beauty and amazing things here to offer.

[Reply]

2. Kionne on February 29th, 2016 9:21 am

Michigan needs to take care of business!

[Reply]

3. Asia on February 29th, 2016 10:27 am

I think the Flint water crisis gives Michigan a bad name, and that’s not good.

[Reply]

4. Nikolaus Perry on February 29th, 2016 10:30 am

I agree that even though Michigan is going through hard times something in Michigan is still beautiful

[Reply]

5. M. Gingles on February 29th, 2016 11:33 am

I’m happy it wasn’t in my city

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Michigan Suffers From Bad Press