The student news site of Southfield High School
Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Performance Review: Black History Program Produces Red Hot Results

Rayven Malone

Sophomore Faron Davis presents her original poem called "Crayons" at the Black History Program. Her poem was about skin color.

• Members of the Drama Club present an original play titled "A Trip Through Time" that looked back on segregation. (Rayven Malone)
  • Senior Breanna Cross sings during the Black History program. (Rayven Malone)
  • Senior Taylor Haywood dances to "Beautiful" by India Arie. (Rayven Malone)
  • Under the direction of choir teacher Christopher Kuhn, students sing "Lift Every Voice." (Rayven Malone)
  • Band Director David Miller gets the wind section to perform during the Black History show. (Rayven Malone)
  • Members of the marching band perform on stage instead of on the football field. (Rayven Malone)
  • Marching Band Director David Miller leads his students in a performance of "Order My Steps" during the Black History program. (Rayven Malone)
  • English teacher Virna Hobbs-Calhoun wanted the school to have a Black History program, so she invited school groups to put together a variety show of performances. Hobbs-Calhoun made it happen. (Rayven Malone)

To celebrate Black History Month, Southfield High put on a captivating program brimming with music, poetry and a dramatic skit.

The program was co-hosted by English teacher Virna Hobbs-Calhoun and pianist Devon Cadwell.

The 45-minute show had several highlights, including a dance performance by senior Taylor Haywood to “Beautiful” by India Arie and  a dance performance by junior Mariya Calhoun to“Powerful” by Alicia Keys.

Another show highlight was “Crayons,” an original spoken word poem about skin color by sophomore Faron Davis.

The Drama Club, under the direction of senior Zaire Marthrel, performed an original skit entitled “A Trip Through Time” about segregation and the importance of learning about Black History. At first it sounded as if the actors were shouting “Eat more rice!” but as their voices became more unified, their message of “Equal Rights” was easier to understand.

It’s impressive that a student-led group could pull the original skit together in a limited amount of time and with little direction.

The mixed choir kicked off the program with inspirational renditions of “Lift Every Voice” and “Sing.”

Though the program was impressive, it had a couple of timing flaws. The dismissal bell rang before the Marching Band could finish their closing performance of “Order My Steps,” and students left during the band number to catch their buses.

The program was presented twice; ninth and tenth graders saw the show during sixth hour; juniors and seniors saw the show during last hour. If the first performance had ended or started earlier, the second performance could have finished on time.

Despite the timing mishap, the overall program ended up being a wonderful outcome that showcased student talent as well as Black history.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Performance Review: Black History Program Produces Red Hot Results”

1. Teka Richardson on March 2nd, 2016 3:33 pm

Very inspirational! I was honored to be a part of it!

[Reply]

2. Cody Weckerly on March 5th, 2016 10:17 am

Great article by Rayven Malone and Elena Wilson! Informative, concise, and picturesque!

[Reply]

3. Carnell on March 24th, 2016 10:23 am

It was a great event to go to! I’m glad I went.

[Reply]

4. Breanna Cross on March 24th, 2016 10:24 am

The program was a success.

[Reply]

5. Deshawn Sewell on June 8th, 2016 12:39 pm

I find it amazing to actually get students really involved in Black History Month and show their talents and skills while doing it. Amazing job!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.