The student news site of Southfield High School

The Southfield Jay

Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Jay Newspaper Will Change With Times

The Southfield Jay reluctantly puts its name to rest with this last published issue, ending 63 years of printed issues under that name.
But it is not over.
The Southfield Jay plans to reemerge in the fall of 2016 as The Southfield Times.
We are changing our name because the old name no longer suits us. We will be the Warriors when the two high schools merge next fall, not Blue Jays.
Our name change does not undo the celebrated history of the paper, which has won hundreds of awards, ranging from Spartan Awards from the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association to George H. Gallup Awards from Quill and Scroll.
The change does not undo the tradition of excellence the paper has had for more than six decades.
The change does not undo all of the journalism and communications careers started by those who have been staff members of the paper over the years.
The change is an end but also a beginning. The papers will rise from its own ashes into a new student publication made stronger by the addition of students from Southfield-Lathrup, who will join forces with Southfield High to become Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology, or Southfield A & T, for short.
The Southfield Jay’s website – now called southfieldtimes.com – will archive its stories to preserve the history of the publication in digital form. The website will also be renamed eventually, which is only fitting. The publication is not ending; it is just changing its name, like a woman when she gets married.
We are not the only ones at Southfield High School emerging from an identity crisis. The school’s Techno Jays robotic team and the Marching Band are experiencing similar growing pains and identity issues.
Hey, even the country of Sri Lanka went through this. It used to be called Ceylon. And what about Burma? It was renamed Myanmar in 1989 by the military government..
The Southfield Jay will become a flattering memory, but a new beginning for the future news team, The Southfield Times.
We do not see this as an unfortunate consequence of the schools merging. We see it as a great opportunity to start fresh and build from new materials.
Although taking a new route may seem risky, it can make us stronger.
We want to say thank you for liking us on Facebook. Thank you for following us on Instagram. Thank you for following us on Twitter and Snapchat.
We will spend the summer rebranding our paper, website and social media accounts.
Finally, we hope you will like, follow and read our new print and social media publications in the fall.