The student news site of Southfield High School
Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Rivals Become Unified Teammates

Rivals Become Unified Teammates

Taylor Lawson

United: Now that the two rival high schools have merged, former Southfield-Lathrup junior linebacker Jeremy Pippen (left) finds himself teammates with former Southfield High senior defensive end Cardell Harris

The Hatfields and McCoys are now one family.
That’s because the former Blue Jays of Southfield High School and the former Chargers of Southfield-Lathrup are now merged into one school, with one varsity football team, one golf team, one volleyball, team and on down the line of sports teams.
“We are building chemistry by working hard together in practice,” said Varsity Football defenseman Cardell Harris, who played for the former Southfield High Blue Jays. Among his teammates is former Southfield-Lathrup linebacker Jeremy Pippen.
Conley said he increased the number of players on his team roster this year following the merge, but kids still had to compete harder for their spots on the varsity, junior varsity and freshman football teams. He had 62 on varsity last year and has 77 this year.
The merge has bumped the new Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology (a.k.a. Southfield A & T) into Division 1 due to its larger enrollment of 1,666, which is up approximately 600 students from last year.
Last year both Southfield High and Southfield-Lathrup competed in Division 2, Conley said.
As a result of the division change, Southfield A & T will face some different football opponents than in past years, particularly Lake Orion, Troy Athens, Oxford, and Clarkston – schools the teams only faced in crossover games under their former divisions.
Winter and spring sports teams have yet to face the merge the way the fall sports teams have already done.
For Boys Varsity Basketball, “It’s about getting along and building chemistry so we can go out and compete at a high level,” said Varsity Basketball guard Gerald Hall, who last year played on behalf of Southfield High.
That is not such a bad thing, Hall says. “We have more depth now and are more covered in certain areas that last year we weren’t strong in. “The drawback? “We are just not gelling as quickly as we would want and putting egos aside, and it’s just more talent, so playing time will come harder.”
Head Football Coach Tim Conley cited the same advantage to the merge: “We have more depth, so if a player gets injured, then we have more players to fill in his shoes.”
Varsity Baseball player Jaycen Lipsey, who was the “big bat” for Southfield High last year, said he looks forward to the combined baseball team this year. “I’m just looking to see how we mesh together and see all the good talent we bring in from both schools.”

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Rivals Become Unified Teammates”

1. Wesley Bingham on October 28th, 2016 10:37 am

Very well written

[Reply]

2. Ayonna on October 28th, 2016 11:00 am

Story was well written

[Reply]

3. Erick Eldridge on October 28th, 2016 11:04 am

I play football at Southfield A&T and I feel as if this article was well writtten. The picture was well taken and I believe the merger was successful.

[Reply]

4. Jordon Nickerson on October 28th, 2016 11:08 am

I think the merger was good because it brought a whole lot more of athletes to the school this year.

[Reply]

5. Aaryn jacobs on October 28th, 2016 12:48 pm

This story shows the unity between the old rivals

[Reply]

6. Reese Kelly on October 28th, 2016 2:18 pm

I’m loving the team that became a family

[Reply]

7. Bryce McCoy on October 30th, 2016 9:04 pm

I am a part of the varsity football team, and I am very happy to be a part of something great… watch!

[Reply]

8. Nnamdi Dike on November 2nd, 2016 1:18 pm

I thought that uniting the schools was a great idea

[Reply]

9. Nicholas Looney on November 3rd, 2016 12:34 pm

Yeahhh A&T

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Rivals Become Unified Teammates