The student news site of Southfield High School

The Southfield Jay

Filed under News, Uncategorized

School Launches New Seminar Time 3 Days Per Week

Radio+teacher+Kevin+Walsh+signs+a+pass+for+senior+Amber+Cooper+in+her+daily+planner.+All+students+were+issued+planners+this+year+from+their+seminar+teacher.+The+planners+also+serve+as+hall+passes.
Radio teacher Kevin Walsh signs a pass for senior Amber Cooper in her daily planner. All students were issued planners this year from their seminar teacher. The planners also serve as hall passes.

Kennidi Holloway

Kennidi Holloway

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

In an effort to improve student achievement, Southfield A & T added seminar time to the schedule this year.
Seminar gives students 40 minutes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday after lunch to catch up on studies or seek extra help from a teacher.
Junior Barry Ginyard said, “It can be productive” but it requires the student to make decisions on how best to use the time.
“Seminar could be a big benefit,” said Economics teacher Matthew Hirvela. “It gives students a chance to get caught up on work. I think we’ll make better use of it once we get used to it.”
During seminar, students are required to report to their home room for attendance, then use their planners as passes to attend another teacher’s class.
Some clubs, such as DECA, National Honor Society and Business Professionals of America hold meetings during seminar time.
Senior Jayla Taliaferro said, “Having seminar comes in handy for having DECA meetings because people have to work or do homework after school and sometimes it’s difficult to get transportation back to school.”

Print Friendly

15 Comments

15 Responses to “School Launches New Seminar Time 3 Days Per Week”

1. Victoria Wyatt on October 27th, 2016 7:45 pm

I feel that the seminar days are helpful. They help me complete my work.

2. Mesha Nelson on October 27th, 2016 10:33 pm

I wish that when I was in high school that I had this opportunity. This allows students to go visit teachers in the classes that they may be struggling in and need a little more help with.

3. diego grant on October 28th, 2016 10:40 am

Seminar might have been the best thing they ever did in my high school career.

4. Brandon on October 28th, 2016 10:48 am

Brandon Cobbs is the realist at Southfield. Period

5. Tyler on October 28th, 2016 10:52 am

The bands photos are amazing

6. Kyle Grier on October 28th, 2016 10:53 am

Mr Walsh’s classroom is inviting. I don’t have him as a teacher, but he is always nice to me

7. Justin cain on October 28th, 2016 10:54 am

Taylor is a great person, innovative with a bright spirit. Her photography is majestic and progressively getting better.

8. Antonio melson on October 28th, 2016 10:57 am

The photos are amazing. I’m so happy our school has a newspaper. The stories are very interesting and fun to read. It gives us a chance to see a lot of things about the school, and it gives readers an opportunity to have their picture put in the newspaper.

9. Lavender Marshall on October 28th, 2016 2:39 pm

I love the new seminar schedule. I think it’s very convenient for teens who need to bring up a grade in their class.

10. Earl Short on October 30th, 2016 7:23 pm

Great story and was well written

11. Bryce Hollis on October 30th, 2016 7:30 pm

This story was properly structured and it made me want to learn more about A & T

12. Lionel Brown on November 2nd, 2016 1:17 pm

I think seminar should be optional, but I enjoyed reading the article.

13. Brian Knowles on November 2nd, 2016 6:13 pm

I feel that seminar is helpful and beneficial

14. Jaden McCallum on November 3rd, 2016 12:42 pm

Good Article

15. Torrez Barnes on November 3rd, 2016 9:48 pm

I think seminar is a good thing

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right