The student news site of Southfield High School

The Southfield Jay

Filed under News, Uncategorized

Southfield High School Switches to New Warrior Logos

SHS Alumnus Designs New Logos

Todd Pearl

Southfield High School alumnus Todd Pearl said he designed the Warrior mascot to be "confident and strong."

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Since 1951, Southfield High School has been the home of the Blue Jays, but with the upcoming merger with Southfield-Lathrup, the school has adopted a new mascot – the Warriors – and hired an artist to design new Warrior logos.

The designs were created by 1976 Southfield High School bicentennial graduate Todd Pearl, who is a Clawson resident and the creative director of his own graphic design company.
One version of the new logo is a block “S” with a warrior’s spear piercing it on an angle. It includes the new school name of Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology, or Southfield A&T.
Other versions of the logo feature a warrior’s head in a metal visor. “I wanted the mascot to be confident and strong,” Pearl said.
As for the school’s name logo, “I designed the logo to be seen as very established, traditional, and collegiate.”
“I absolutely love the new logo,” said Principal Sonia Jackson. “I love that it will have different colors, and that it will symbolize what the school is about in that strength, and I love that it looks very collegiate.”

Pearl said, “I am honored that I could create the new visual identity for SHS A&T, giving the students, the teachers, the community a brand a mascot they can be proud of for years to come.”

Pearl studied at the College for Creative Studies, in Detroit. His other Detroit-area clients include National Coney Island and Magna International. He is married to his Southfield High School crush, Lisa Wasserman, who also graduated with him from SHS in 1976.

Todd Pearl

The new logo for Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology features a block "S" pierced by a spear. The school's short name is Southfield A&T. It was designed by Todd Pearl.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

18 Comments

18 Responses to “Southfield High School Switches to New Warrior Logos”

1. Shawnna Binion on June 8th, 2016 1:11 pm

I’m loving the new logo!

2. Biana Fortune on June 9th, 2016 11:54 am

I think it’s a great idea due to the fact that I wasn’t all up for the merge. Now that I see eye to eye with everyone else on the merge I appreciate the fact that we are becoming one. The logo is very beautiful and shows both sides coming together from being split apart so long. The feud is finally ending with something brand new.

3. Kamryn Walker on June 9th, 2016 3:06 pm

Nice logo

4. Joshua Flounory on June 9th, 2016 3:14 pm

It’s so sad that the Blue Jay will no longer be.

5. Destinee Griffin on June 10th, 2016 8:25 am

I really like the logo and hope that next year is a great year for the Warriors.

6. Bruce Shepard on June 10th, 2016 3:11 pm

Good thorough coverage of the logos and the designer.

7. Officer Williams on June 10th, 2016 3:17 pm

I have been working here at SFH for 6 years, I love my job, this school, the staff and what it stands for. I know this may be hard for those who have graduated from here or worked here for many years. We now live in a world where there is constant change, so in life we have to learn to embrace change and know that Change can sometimes be a good thing. I look forward to the New and Upcoming Chapter in the Life of this High School as Southfield A and T…GO WARRIORS. GREAT STORY NADIA!

8. Jessica Gable on June 10th, 2016 3:19 pm

Great story, it looks like you worked hard to obtain information.

9. Chris on June 11th, 2016 9:42 pm

I like both of the logos and it looks the writer really put effort into gathering the information

10. Toya on June 12th, 2016 8:38 pm

Excellent article Nadia! The new logo looks great!

11. Tandra on June 12th, 2016 8:41 pm

Great story! The start of new beginnings for Southfield High.

12. DeAngelia Sweezer on June 12th, 2016 9:26 pm

Great work, Nadia Malone! I enjoyed the article.

13. Tenecia Williams on June 12th, 2016 9:45 pm

Great story and I love the new logo!

14. Deondelo on June 14th, 2016 3:42 pm

Great article and logo!

15. lakia on June 18th, 2016 2:52 pm

Love The Article & Logo Awesome Work Nadia Keep It Up

16. Brian on October 21st, 2016 10:41 am

I like the logo too

17. Devon Dinero on October 30th, 2016 3:11 pm

Change It, It’s Too Plain

18. Leshawn cook on October 30th, 2016 9:05 pm

I like the new logo

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right